Evesham Utd 0

Paulton Rovers 0

Rovers left Evesham Utd with a hard-fought point on Tuesday evening ending their run of defeats.

The fixture looked like a certain home banker with the current form of both teams. Evesham quickly got into their stride, using width to launch attacks from the wings. Frankie Phillips in the Rovers’ goal made a good save within two minutes.

Rovers slowly started to gain some traction. The returning Leighton Thomas paired with Jamarni Langlais who worked hard to hold the ball up, supported by Martin Lenihan and Ed Butcher on the flanks. In the 8th minute, Langlais’ low cross was intercepted before the keeper was troubled.

It was a pattern that repeated throughout the first half. Evesham consistently used their width and caused the Rovers’ backline trouble.

Another chance came and went for Ed Butcher as he took a ball from the halfway line to the penalty box but was halted before striking.

At the halftime break, Evesham were on top from the number of chances created but Rovers, with some more precision in the final third, could have had a goal themselves.

Rovers upped their pressure in the second half, but it was Evesham that came closest to breaking the deadlock in the 59th minute when Ethan Morgan’s shot looked promising, but Frankie Phillips pulled off a wonder save.

Undeterred, Rovers pressed on and had two good chances in quick succession. Two minutes later, some nice play between Thomas and Jesse Thompson allowed a shot for the latter but the keeper was equal to it.

In the 70th minute, Dan McBeam replaced the hard-working Jamarni Langlais. Rovers were now looking as dangerous as the hosts. Olly Sully and Milo Murgatroyd replaced Leighton Thomas and Ed Butcher. Two great chances came for both teams as the 90th minute approached. The final moments were tense. Rovers were close to their first point for some weeks and didn’t want to lose it. The defence stood firm and the game ended in a stalemate.

It was a decent 0 - 0 draw with both teams rueful that they couldn’t take all three points.

This was certainly a game for Rovers to feel positive about. The new signings are all gelling well and more time together will only improve the communication between players. Something to build on as we go back to The Winterfield Stadium on Saturday!

Next game: Bemerton Heath Harlequins (H), Saturday, March, 16 at 3pm.