A CARE home with 76 beds will be built near a Frome industrial estate following approval by local councillors.

Liberty Care Developments Ltd put forward plans in July last year for the facility east of the B3090 Marston Road, on land at Handlemaker Road.

Local residents spoke out against the plans when Somerset Council’s planning committee east met on February 3, criticising the building’s design and arguing it did not meet local needs.

The committee, however, voted to grant permission after a lengthy debate, citing the overriding need to provide local care beds.

The two-storey complex will be accessed from a new junction on Marston Road, with 12 car parking spaces being provided on-site along with three disabled bays and two motorcycle spaces.

The facility will include two residential gardens and landscaping at the northern and southern boundaries, masking the site from both Marston Road and the Wessex Fields business park.

Each of the residents would enjoy en-suite accommodation, with a lounge and dining room area being provided on each floor, with the care home expected to create the equivalent of 75 full-time jobs.

Local residents complained about the overbearing nature of the building at the planning meeting.
Local residents complained about the overbearing nature of the building at the planning meeting.

In order to deliver the development, an existing two-storey house on Marston Road will be demolished, along with its garage, a single-storey outbuilding, and small ornamental ponds.

Local resident Sophie Addison spoke against the design of the proposed care home when the planning committee met.

She said: “The developers have openly stated that this will be a private pay, upmarket care home, very similar to others in Frome.

“There are already vacancies in these care homes.

“I would question whether we need more of these spaces.

“This is a large, institutional building, and it is proposed to be situated immediately adjacent to neighbouring homes, with very minimal separation.

“Viewed from our homes and gardens, the proposed building would be far more intrusive than the existing dwelling.”

Marilyn Syms, who has lived in Frome for 53 years, spoke in favour of the plans, arguing that elderly residents would have to move away if sufficient local beds could not be provided.

Frome West Cllr Martin Dimery argued it was important for local residents to be cared for close to their families, drawing on threats which had been made in 2024 to close Critchill Court care home.

He said: “About 18 months ago, a care home in my division was threatened with closure.

“The council was not able to come in and buy it or run it, as used to be the case, and I asked where the residents would go.

“The answer was that there were some spare beds, but they could be accommodated up to 30 miles away.

“I was appalled by the idea that somebody with dementia or any other life-threatening illness might be moved to Chard, away from their families.

“The argument here is based around the design of the building, and the impact that it will have in the neighbourhood.”

After about two hours’ debate, the committee voted to approve the plans by nine votes to two, with one abstention.