Paulton Councillors, Liz Hardman and John Bull, have welcomed the news that the village's very unpopular traffic chicane is due to be removed. Since it appeared at the end of last year, the new build-out has sparked a heated debate amongst motorists and users of Paulton Hospital have also struggled with access, due to its positioning.
A meeting was organised on Monday night this week by Paulton Parish Council to review the traffic calming measures which were introduced as part of the 20mph speed limit roll-out. Such was the strength of feeling, that over 100 people attended.
Kelvin Packer, B&NES Service Manager for Highways, explained that the traffic calming solutions had been put in place due to the introduction of the new speed limit. He also said there were three options regarding the controversial build-out, with the preferred one being to remove the structure and introduce more signage, along with other traffic calming devices, such as rumble strips.
Cllr John Bull said: "Liz and I have campaigned against the location of the build-out by the hospital
together with the Parish Council and Paulton residents since it was installed. This is a victory for common sense, since this particular build-out actually reduced safety, rather than enhancing it."
Cllr Hardman added: "We support the principle of the 20mph limit, but some of the implementation was to be deplored. Together with other minor adjustments proposed, this should now reduce speeding and rat-running and make Paulton a safer place."
The build-out cost £10,000 of S106 money and was immediately unpopular with residents. B&NES Council have been asked for comment, but were unable to do so as we went to press. Hopefully, they will let The Journal know when it is due to be removed – at extra cost.



