ON non-league Saturday Timsbury Athletic ultimately secured a comfortable 4-0 home win against lowly Wrington Redhill in the Uhlsport Somerset County League Premier Division but they made hard work of it.

Timsbury could not have made a better start taking the lead after 3 minutes when Wrington keeper Regan D’Arcy totally misjudged Rico Sobers’ ambitious effort from distance. At the other end Sam Harvey wasted a free-kick for the visitors while Ellis Hancock forced D’Arcy to save and almost immediately shot just wide. Timsbury’s prolific striker Rhys Cook squandered a great opportunity to add to his season’s tally shooting over the top with the goal at his mercy. Ethan Williams volleyed over the top for the visitors and Max Smith was also too high with a long distance attempt. Nathan Flynn forced D’Arcy to make a fine save from a well struck shot but Timsbury failed to make the most of their possession with Hancock, Cook and Flynn all shooting too high.

After a largely forgettable first half Timsbury doubled their lead early in the second period when Sobers’ cross was pulled back across goal to Hancock who tapped the ball in. Timsbury keeper Jack Scrivens was called into action to save a free-kick from Ryan Pugh before Timsbury added a third goal after 55 minutes courtesy of a clinical finish from Hancock. Another free-kick from Pugh in a dangerous position on the edge of the home penalty area was blocked by the defensive wall and Scrivens did well to touch over another free-kick this time from Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyi. The home side then went straight to the other end and Flynn hit a post with D’Arcy well beaten. Cook was enduring a frustrating afternoon and his mood was not improved when he raced clear but with only D’Arcy to beat saw the keeper save. Matthew Walsh shot wide for the visitors before Cook at last had something to cheer about adding Timsbury’s fourth goal in stoppage time. In a late surge the visitors looked certain to gain a consolation goal but they were denied by some excellent defensive work from Matt Brooks who cleared off the line.