Welton Rovers 1

Millbrook AFC 3

If there was ever a game of two halfs this was it, Welton totally dominate in the first period but took their foot off the peddle in the second allowing their visitors to take control and subsequently the points.

This was Welton’s first home Saturday fixture since August 13th and the opposition were Cornish outfit Millbrook making their first ever appearance at West Clewes. After a hesitant start from both sides it was Welton who got an early grip of the game. Lewis Russell and Will Gould combined well and the final touch to Russell saw him launch a cracking goal bound shot, only to be denied by Millbrook keeper Chris Wearing who brilliantly saved one handed to deny Welton the opener. Further good play from Welton saw Ben Wych beat his marker and deliver a cross that was met by Gould who headed over the bar.

Welton took the lead in the ninth minute, a free-kick found Lewis Hunt in space on the right and his power driver header was tipped away by the keeper for a corner. Wych’s short corner to Russell was returned to Wych who drove the ball into the mix where after a scramble, the ball fell to Welton full back Tom Diamond who poked the ball home from close range to score his first ever goal for Welton.

The visitors were unable to get out of their half as Welton pressed, another effort from the lively Russell saw his shot fly over the bar. Further good play by Wych saw him find Russell on the edge of the area and his stinging first time shot could only be parried by Wearing, and a shot on the turn from Gould went inches wide as Welton searched for number two. Just before halftime the visitors launched their first meaningful attack when Josh Johnson saw his effort go high and wide of Matt Dunks goal.

The second half began with Welton dropping deep allowing Millbrook to probe and take the game to Welton. An early effort from Josh Touson flew past the Welton post. An early change for Welton saw Cam Allen replace William Manning. Millbrook’s Sean Thompson was sin binned for 10 minutes for remarks to the referee. Wych found himself in referee Oliver’s book for a cynical tackle. The visitors equalised in the 67th minute when a corner was delivered over to the far post where Ben Gouley was on hand to head home from close range.

Millbrook were looking dangerous on the break and Welton’s defence was getting pressed. A rare excursion into the visitors area saw Allen’s shot take a wicked deflection away from goal. The inevitable happened in the 85th minute when a very brave header, low down from Touson saw him meet the ball in a crowd of players and head home to give Millbrook the lead. Minutes later, Welton’s cause wasn’t helped when they were reduced to ten men when sub Jacob Watson was shown a straight red card for a bad tackle. The game was well into about ten minutes of added time when Millbrook added icing to the cake when Kieran O’Melia slid in to score number three. Bob Allard