Timsbury claimed all three points, winning 2-1 in a very competitive game away at Somerton, to go top of the table in this Uhlsport Somerset County Division One match.

Timsbury were grateful early on to their young keeper, Wilcocks, who managed to tip a low shot from Brown on to the post, with the rebound clearing the bar from the on-rushing Holland. This proved a rare excursion for the home side, with Timsbury having the advantage of both slope and wind in the first half, keeping them penned into their own half for long periods.

After fifteen minutes, Timsbury took the lead when a cross from Midgeley on the right was headed back across goal by Cook. This was only half-cleared to Nielson on the edge of the box, who volleyed an unstoppable shot past Hardy in the home goal to make it 1-0.

In difficult conditions, Timsbury failed to make the most of their advantage with the home defence limiting them to long-range shots and half-chances, even when they were

reduced to ten men when Dyer was sin-binned for ten minutes. Wilcocks was called upon again to make a fine save with his legs, after Brown found himself with a clear shot on goal. Hancock ended the half with a goal-bound shot, only to see it parried away by Somerton keeper, Hardy.

The roles were reversed in the second half, with Somerton taking full advantage of the conditions and pressing hard for an equaliser. Brooks was called upon to make a last-ditch tackle to thwart Dyer, who was through on goal.

The inevitable happened barely ten minutes in when a low cross from the right by Brown across the six-yard box fell to Holland, who made no mistake in making it 1-1. Within minutes, Somerton were guilty of missing the chance to take the lead, when Holland’s cross from the right fell to the feet of Dyer, who somehow blazed over with the goal at his mercy.

Timsbury were grateful to the pace of Cook and Lutwama, who at times were able to relieve the pressure on their defence, and in turn, cause a threat to the home goal. Against the run of play it was this combination that gave Timsbury the lead again after twenty minutes.

Hancock fed Cook down the left, who ran to the by-line and crossed for Lutwama, who got in front of the last defender and shot home to make it 2-1.

This unsettled the home side and they lost their way in the second half, resulting in them hitting long-balls which were easily dealt with by the Timsbury defence. Somerton might have snatched a point late on when a goalmouth scramble was somehow kept out, despite several close-range efforts from the Somerton attack.

Rob Veater