Bemerton Heath Harlequins 0 - 0 Paulton Rovers: Rovers travelled to Bemerton Heath Harlequins looking for their first league win of the season and came away not quite knowing how they didn't achieve it. 'The Bemmys' on the other hand came into the game on the back of two good opening wins and were sat at the top end of the table. The openings minutes played out as they had in previous games this season with Rovers making a sluggish start. The hosts took the initiative and for the first ten minutes or so had Rovers under the cosh. Their movement and passing led to several chances and although Sam Jepson wasn't forced into making a serious stop, the signs were not looking promising. However, Paulton started to get a foothold when Kye Simpson found Jemar South-Thomas with a sublime cross-field ball. His mazy run took him into the box but his shot was closed down. It was the beginning of a change in the tide as Rovers themselves started to apply the pressure. In the 14th minute, a corner from Braeden Symes perfectly picked out Dan Restorick but his header flew over the bar and just four minutes later, Restorick launched one of his trademark long throws which found Fin Haines; his flicked header found Kye Simpson lurking but he dragged his shot just wide of the post. Now well in the ascendancy, in the 21st minute, David O'Hare won a free kick some 25 yards out. Kye Simpson stepped up to take it, but his shot was fired well over. Ten minutes later, Simpson was involved again when he combined well with Toby Stephens who powered into the box only to find his shot deflected into the side netting. Despite the claims, a corner was not given. The Bemmys certainly were not out of the game though and they still showed some danger when breaking. Sam Jepson wasn't overly troubled in the Rovers goal, however. The second half began much as the first had, with Rovers having to soak up the early chances and a dangerous looking shot in the 56th minute had to be blocked with a last second challenge. But again, Rovers slowly started putting it together and it was another Jemar South-Thomas run and shot that seemed to kick things up a gear again; although unfortunately the effort was just too high. Seconds later, Rovers pulled out what was probably their best move of the game when Joe Morgan picked up the ball on the left of the hosts box, he rolled it back to Braeden Symes who perfectly picked out Kye Simpson on the opposite side. Some neat footwork took him past two defenders and he passed the ball into the space for Fin Haines to pick up. He took the ball to the byline and cut it back to the penalty spot from where Toby Stephens lashed a shot. The Bemmys Man of the Match, Pascal Kpohomouh, threw himself into the path of the ball to deflect it away. Rovers claimed it hit his arm but any appeals were waived away. In the 66th minute, South-Thomas saw another effort go high and wide from a Kye Simpson cross. It was his last real involvement, as three minutes later he was replaced by Martin Lenihan. Toby Stephens also made way for Leo Eglin. Both Lenihan and Eglin were immediately involved. From the left, Lenihan placed a perfect looking cross which evaded all of the defence, but also Eglin who was making a run at the far post. Eglin was close again seconds later, when Kye Simpson struck a pass across the face of the goal but it was cut out before the midfielder could connect. The chances kept on coming when Kye Simpson worked himself some space on the right, but his shot was tame and easy to take for Patrick Creese in Bemerton Heath's goal. As with the first half, The Bemmys were never really out of it and made several dangerous openings themselves. Going into the final minutes, Sam Jepson was forced to make a good save with his feet to keep the game scoreless. After Tuesday night's defeat to Wimborne there will be a lot of good to take away from this game. The defence was very solid and Fin Haines filled in superbly at right back. Jemar South-Thomas looked tricky whenever he got the ball and there seemed to be more invention in Rovers play. There is certainly no lack of effort from anyone. Rovers, perhaps, should have walked away with the three points; there were certainly enough chances created to do so. But the Bemerton keeper didn't really have to make any desperate saves either. Rovers will need to be much more clinical with their finishing if they are to start making strides up the table. After a bank holiday fixture with Willand Rovers, Rovers travel to Bishops Cleeve for an FA Trophy clash on 9th September. Jon Green