Paulton Rovers 4 Wincanton Town 1: Goals from Martin Lenihan, Toby Stephens, Fin Haines and Kye Simpson saw Rovers ease past Wincanton Town and into the next round of the Somerset Premier Cup.

Buoyed by a solid performance with more attacking verve on Saturday, Rovers, from the off looked like a team with the bit between their teeth!

Craig Loxton made several changes to the starting team from the game with Malvern but it seemed to make little difference as Rovers pushed forward in the early minutes.

Several half chances came their way including one for Dan McBeam who's long range drive was wide of the post. In the sixth minute, Fin Haines hit a half volley from outside the box but it sailed over the bar.Rovers were taking most of the possession but in the 11th minute Rob Brown in the Rovers' had to make a stop from point blank range when Wincanton broke through.

But it was a rare early early chance for Wincanton as Paulton started to boss the game more and more with Nick Hewlett, Toby Stephens and DanMcBeam combining down the right an number of times to cause problems for the visitors' defence and a goal seemed to be coming.

David O'Hare dragged a shot just wide in the 14th minute and the deadlock was finally broken in the 22nd minute when Fin Haines laid the ball off to JoeMorgan who broke down the right and put the perfect low cross across the six yard box where Martin Lenihan was on hand to turn the ball in.

Rovers continued to control the game but failed to test the Wincanton' keeper for the next twenty minutes or so but with the clock ticking down to the end of the first half, the Rovers faithful then witnessed two moments of brilliance!

Firstly, in the 41st minute, Nick Hewlett found Toby Stephens far out on the right and midway into the Wincanton half.

Stephens powered his way across the pitch and into the left hand side of the visitors box and struck a shot back across the goal and in to the bottom righthand corner.Just two minutes later, Martin Lenihan turned provider as he found FinHaines in the centre circle. Haines moved forward and from 25 yards out lashed a shot past the outstretched keeper! The quick fire double was no more than Rovers deserved and the half ended with the hosts sitting comfortably.

Perhaps with one eye on next week's local derby with Frome Town, Rovers started the second half in a more subdued fashion to the first which allowed Wincanton to come into the game more and they had two early chances for Louis Irwin and Toby Cole before Paulton got their first chance; a header over the bar by Fin Haines.

Wincanton continued to ask more questions than Rovers for the next 20 minutes or so but didn't unduly test Rob Brown in the Rovers goal. In the 62nd minute Rovers introduced Kye Simpson and Jemar South-Thomas forJoe Morgan and Toby Stephens which gave 'The Wasps' something else to think about. Both Simpson and South-Thomas immediately started to cause issues on the flanks with their penetrating runs. In the 74th minute, Braeden Symens replaced Fin Haines but a couple of minutes later Wincanton got a goal back when, from a partially cleared corner, the ball fell to Tom Jarvis on the edge of the box who rifled a low shot into the net.

On the balance of the second half the goal was probably a just reward.Rovers made their final change in the 82nd minute as David Slade re placed Dan McBeam to try and shore up the Rovers team for the final few minutes. However, Slade provided more than a defensive role when, in the 84th minute, he launched in a cross that Kye Simpson turned into the net to seal the game and stop any hopes of a late comeback by Wincanton.

A late chance for Martin Lenihan followed but the game was effectively over although both teams still looked to push forward in the final moments.

The second half may not have had the 'easy on the eye' football that the team showed in the first half, but it was solid display that should boost confidence for next week's derby at home to Frome Town on Tuesday, 10th October. Kick-off 7.30pm.

This game was due to be played onSaturday, 7th October but due to Frome's ongoing participation in the FA Trophy, this has now been rearranged.

Jon Green