Welton gained a valuable point in their Premier League campaign against high flyers, Buckland Athletic, in the first ever encounter between the two teams, which saw three penalties correctly awarded by the referee.

It was a lively start from Welton and a Dan Cottle free kick saw Buckland keeper, Grant Fisher, gather well under pressure. At the other end, Welton keeper, Andy King, was on top form to deny Mark Revell from close range. A long range shot from Lloyd Gardner went close for the visitors.

The visitors continued to press the Welton defence and they were rewarded just after the half hour when the ball fell to Shane Gill on the right, he raced into the area, turned his marker and then fired in an unstoppable shot that flew into the top corner of the net to score a quality goal.

Welton responded and just before half-time, Steve Bridges on a charge was brought down just outside the area by keeper, Fisher, and he was booked by referee, Durkin. Sensationally a minute later, Cottle raced into the Buckland area and he was promptly upended by Fisher, who immediately received his second yellow card and was off, and the visitors were reduced to ten men and Welton were awarded the penalty. Stand-in keeper, Tom Buckner, was brought on and Welton’s Tom Smith took the penalty only to see Buckner save low down and palm away the spot kick for a corner. Cottle took the corner which was met by Michael Jones, whose close range header hit the underside of the bar and dropped into the net to give Welton a deserved half-time equaliser.

The second half saw both sides going all out for the next goal, but both defences were on top form and clear cut chances were few and far between. On 73 minutes, the lively Cottle was brought down in the Buckland area by Liam Drew, who was promptly booked by referee, Durkin, and a penalty kick was awarded to Welton. Up stepped youngster, Kai Gould, and despite all the pressure, he calmly blasted the ball into the Buckland net to give Welton the lead.

It was all Buckland now as they went all out to equalise and they were rewarded with ten minutes to go when Drew was brought down in the area by a clumsy tackle by Tom Smith. Lloyd Gardner stepped up and delivered a quality spot kick to equalise for Buckland. Both sides then went all out, but in the end, the deadlock could not be broken and the points were shared.

Welton are away against Bitton this Saturday, 24th October, kick-off at 3 p.m., with the Reserves at home to Keynsham Town Reserves, also at 3 p.m.

On Tuesday, 27th October, the Firsts are back in action at home to Cadbury Heath. Kick-off at 7.30 p.m. Bob Allard