Welton Rovers 1 Buckland Athletic 0: Welton continued their excellent form of late with another top drawer team performance that saw them rightly secure three more valuable points against high flying Buckland Athletic.

The game got underway on a dull cold afternoon at West Clewes in front of a large crowd bolstered by a large number of away supporters who had made the trip up from Devon.

After an edgy start from both sides, Welton stepped up a gear, and an attack down the right saw the ball delivered into the area were it was met by Owen Punselie. His header was well held by Buckland keeper Andy Collings. Welton continued to press and were rewarded in the tenth minute with a stunning goal. Jaiden Savery down the right flank threaded the ball through to Punselie on a run, he turned the ball and delivered it straight into the path of Welton captain Lewis Russell who drilled his shot past Collings and straight into the net to finish off in style a real gem of a goal. This setback appeared to wake up the visitors and minutes later they got the ball into the Welton net when Ryan Bush met a corner to head home only to see the goal disallowed by referee Halford who had spotted an earlier infringement in the Welton area. Welton keeper Dominic Oakes was then called into action with a smart save low down to deny Rob Farkins.

A shot on the turn from Jared Lewington for the visitors was again comfortably dealt with Oakes. As halftime approached Buckland were pressing for the equaliser but the Welton defence marshalled by man of the match Joe Garland were all up to the challenge.

The second half saw Scott Hatcher replace Welton fullback Archie Morris who had picked up a knock in the first half. Buckland were taking the game to Welton but everywhere on the pitch Welton’s players were totally committed to the cause and keeping the lead and the visitors were becoming more and more frustrated.

An overhead kick from Lewington went well wide of the target, and Josh Webber saw his shot fly high over the Welton bar and a long range effort from Ben Carter whistled past the Welton upright. The visitors frustration was growing by the minute and questioning decisions by the officials which resulted in Reece Hendrickson being sin binned.

Welton were soaking up the pressure and looked dangerous on the break. Sub Callum Elms excellent run down the right saw him deliver a quality cross that was met by Courtney Charles who rose above the defence only to head over the bar.

As the game entered nine minutes of added time Welton keeper Oakes then produced another out standing save with his legs to deny the visitors an equaliser. In the end Welton ran out worthy winners with a great team performance that was a credit to all the players and manager Tom Smith and the Green Army went home very pleased.

Bob Allard