Timsbury Athletic 1

Nailsea United 2 A penalty in stoppage time saw Nailsea United progress to the final of the Uhlsport Somerset County League Cup for Premier and Division 1 teams after a 2-1 win at Timsbury. The visitors had rarely threatened for much of the game but they defended resolutely and a late surge saw them over the line against a lacklustre Timsbury side.

The first half was noticeable for a few clear-cut chances. Timsbury enjoyed the majority of the possession and after Ellis Hancock had just failed to reach Rhys Cook with an early effort, Cook himself shot narrowly wide. At the other end of the pitch, Mike Vaughan was a long way off target with a speculative shot before Nathan Flynn raced clear down the right and created a chance at the near post for Rico Sobers which he stabbed narrowly wide. Jack Williams in the home goal saved comfortably from Charlie Parsons and after Sobers had headed clear a free-kick from Ryan Ford Parsons volleyed the rebound over the top. After 35 minutes Timsbury took the lead with a left foot shot from Hancock and the same player came agonisingly close to a second right on half-time with a fine shot that just cleared the bar.

Early in the second half a shot from Sobers flashed just wide of the post and Cook forced visiting keeper Rob Brown to save his goal-bound effort. At the other end, Williams just about dealt with a shot from Matt Long while a fine cross from Cook just evaded the onrushing Flynn. As the game progressed the visitors established more of a foothold in the game and after 73 minutes equalised when an unmarked Vaughan headed home at the far post. Shortly afterwards Nailsea were reduced to 10 men when Tom Kemble was sent off for denying Cook a goal scoring opportunity. The game then drifted towards a penalty shoot-out until a dramatic finale saw Williams sent off after a skirmish in the home penalty area and substitute Elliott Moore hammered home the spot-kick.

For Timsbury, who had beaten their opponents 6-1 in the league meeting earlier in the season, it will be seen as a big missed opportunity on a day when they were far from their best. Timsbury will be playing at the Rec again on Saturday 23rd March against Wrington Redhill First.

M Tucker