Having not played each other since 1998, the sides spent the first quarter of an hour sizing each other up before a Norton infringement allowed Thornbury to kick a penalty to take a 3–0 lead after twenty minutes. Ten minutes later, Thornbury scored the first try of the match, taking the score to 10–0.

Norton now had a good period of possession, putting pressure on the home side’s line. But unfortunately, a couple of good scoring chances were squandered and Thornbury were able to break out and score in stoppage time of the first half.

The half ended with the home side leading 17–0, the Norton pack was competing well in the tight exchanges but Thornbury were winning the loose.

Norton were slow to start after the break, the complete opposite to their opposition, who scored in the first minute of the half. Thornbury now had a healthy twenty-four-point lead and could afford to take risks, attacking at every opportunity.

The team was now under the cosh as the home side launched wave after wave of attacks down the slope and they responded with a huge defensive shift. At least three attacks, which spectators thought were certain tries, were stopped. Even when Thornbury did cross the line, the referee disallowed the score. The team kept their line safe for thirty minutes before Thornbury extended their lead with a converted try. The home side added a further try five minutes from full time to take the score to 38–0.

A big thank you has to be made to those players who stepped in at the last minute due to unavailability and injury.

Midsomer Norton Seconds beat Old Reds Thirds, 19–0 last Saturday and are top of the league.

Bridgwater 3rd XV 50 Midsomer Norton 3rd XV 15

The Thirds put in another good display on Saturday when they travelled to Bridgwater, with the final score not fully reflecting their efforts.

The first half saw Norton play the majority of rugby and were unlucky not to take the lead when a Joe Travetti penalty drifted just wide. The hosts were up against it, but pounced on a couple of errors to take a fourteen point lead.

Norton kept battling away, and following a strong run from Nath Morgan through the centre of the field, Captain, Ian Tiley, was on hand to power over from close range. Fly half, Mike Evans, added the conversion to bring Norton back into the game.

Bridgwater again capitalised on a Norton error to take a somewhat flattering 19–7 half-time lead.

The second half saw the home side take more control and keep the score board ticking over. Norton pushed them all the way and flanker, Scott Anderson, capped an excellent display with a spectacular try. He caught a kick-off running at full pace, chipped the ball over the full back and regathered to go over under the posts. Evans added the conversion.

This week the Thirds are home to Burnham-on-Sea Seconds, kick-off at 3 p.m.