Huge win for Timsbury Youth

Tuesday 9th December 2014 12:00 am

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Timsbury Athletic Under-16s cruised into the semi-finals of the Somerset County Shield with a dominant performance at home to Whitchurch. The visitors were under the cosh from the start and never really recovered.

Within two minutes of the kick-off, the home side were a goal to the good when striker, Nathan Flynn, scored following a corner kick from Ash Curtis. Quickly after this, Timsbury midfielder, Kane Frith, played a delightful long ball through to Flynn who calmly bagged his second of the afternoon to take his team to a 2–0 lead.

Now in the mood, Timsbury increased the pressure on Whitchurch  and Rico Sobers used his turn of speed to latch onto a pass from deep in his own half to expertly chip the ball over the oncoming keeper, Jamie Shattock, to increase the lead to 3–0.Ebner Heatley then produced some magic of his own to get his name on the scoresheet for Timsbury and his teammate, Lewis Blanning, also made the most of a defensive mix-up in the Whitchurch back line and he blasted it home to take the hosts to a 5–0 advantage.

Now with all of the football being played in the visitors' half, it was only a matter of time before more goals came and it was Sobers who obliged when he got his second and Timsbury's sixth. Whitchurch rallied and were battling hard to get into Timsbury's goal area, but the home back line of Taylor, Riddle, Clark and Cook proved too strong a unit throughout. Curtis was now taking control of the midfield for Timsbury and his vision and reading of the game was creating numerous chances for his team and only the heroics of Shattock kept the score down.

Referee Williams now awarded Timsbury a penalty and up stepped Blanning to sweetly convert the chance to gain his second of the game and Timsbury's seventh.

Within the final minute of a pulsating first half, Timsbury midfielder, Walter Bowen-Schofield, picked up a loose ball and drove on strongly towards the Whitchurch goal and then unselfishly played a ball through to Blanning, who gratefully completed his hat-trick to end the half with the home side 8–0 in front.

Whitchurch held their own in the early stages of the second half before normal service was resumed when Timsbury danger-man, Brad Whittock, got his name on the scoresheet to increase the lead to 9–0. Despite this, Whitchurch showed great resolve and were rewarded when Connor Sheehan scored for them with a neatly taken goal. They were also unlucky not to claim their second straight afterwards, but the effort was cleared off the line by defender, Mac Hughes.

This prompted Timsbury back into action and the second hat-trick of the afternoon was completed when Flynn got his third to increase the lead, 10–1.

Not to be outdone, Rico Sobers also completed his hat-trick minutes later and with the game drawing to a close, Timsbury completed the mission in style when the hard-working Curtis scored a fine opportunist goal.

Before the start of this fixture, both teams lined up together for a photo shoot for the 'Football Remembers Campaign' to mark the Christmas truce during World War I.

More About: