Rovers dismal run of results continued after a 2 - 0 defeat to league leaders Wimborne Town last night, in an almost carbon copy of the FA Cup replay played earlier in the season. On that occasion, a vastly different line-up under different leadership succumbed to an early goal that set the tone for the game. Since that game back in August, there have been many changes to the team but the result stayed the same. Manager, Kyle Tooze asked his team for a reaction after Saturday's defeat to Bristol Manor Farm and in the first few minutes he seemed to have one. Rovers had a little bite to their play and whilst Wimborne looked to have more of the ball, they were being restricted going forward. But the early goal still arrived just as it had in the previous meeting of the teams. An attempted headed clearance from a ball into the box seemed to loop up into the air and back down to Wimborne's Harry Morgan who was able to turn and slot the ball in from a few yards out. It was just what the team didn't need and only served to give Wimborne more confidence. The hosts struggled to make any forward move count as Wimborne lapped up the many misplaced long balls and passes and Frankie Phillips needed to be quick to pull off a great stop from a shot taken outside the box by Wimborne's Lewis Beale in the 21st minute. Things went from bad to worse for Rovers as they lost David O'Hare to injury in the 32nd minute. Its the second match in a row that Rovers have lost a player to injury in the first half. Further chances fell for Harry Baker and Lewis Beale as Wimborne closed out the first half well on top. Paulton started the second half in a very different manner. Suddenly they were first to the second ball and passes were finding their man. For fifteen minutes or so, the renewed burst of energy looked like it may yield a shot at goal. But the chance still wouldn't come. The game started to become tetchy; not helped by some odd refereeing decisions that seemed to go against both teams. The ball seemed to get bogged down in the midfield for much of the next fifteen minutes and it looked like the game was basically over. But moments after his introduction, Wimborne's Cam Munn swept the ball into the net after a neat move by the visitors in the 74th minute. Rovers introduced Dan McBeam and they regained a little impetus again as they started to throw a little more caution to the wind and push forward. McBeam had the hosts first shot at goal just seconds after coming on, but it was charged down before it could reach the keeper. Further chances came for Jamarni Langlais and Ed Butcher before the final whistle but neither troubled the keeper. Langlais had been at the heart of the few bright moments Rovers had managed to muster but he had been starved of service to make much of an impact. The differences between the two teams were plainly obvious and Wimborne deserved to take their place back at the top of the table. Rovers will need to do much more in the upcoming run of games.


3rd February: Away to Tavistock 6th February: Away to Evesham FRIDAY, 9th February: Home to Westbury (7.30pm kick-off)

Jon Green